Monday, November 30, 2009

Grammar.... CONDITIONALS (1)



Hi, Guys!,

If you need to review Conditionals and repeat the activities corrected in class, you can get them here. Besides, I'm going to recommend you to take a look to the following exercises.

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES: EXERCISES

1) Change these conditional sentences type I into type II and type III. 1.- If you give me some glue, I will stick the piecestogether. 2.- I will get you a newspaper if I can find one.
3.- He will be a good president if he is elected.

4.- There will be more people killed if we don't stop that
war. 5.- If you hurry, you'll catch your train.
6.- If you are a good boy, I will take you to the cinema.

2) Rephrase the following sentences into conditionals (types I, II or III) like in the example:

e.g. You were not at home yesterday.
Your little
brother had an accident (type III) = If you had been at home yesterday, your little brother wouldn't have had an accident.

1.- I forgot the car keys at home. I was late for work. (t.III).
2.- She hasn't got a university degree. She'd like to
have a better job. (t. II)
3.- I spent all my money on cigarettes. I need a
dictionary. (t. III).
4.- You might see my sister. I need to tell her that our
father's gone on a business trip. (t. I, use SHOULD).
5.- Susan is going to fail almost every subject this year.
She wants to go to university. (t. I)
6.- He's not handsome. He'd like to have a beautiful
girlfriend. (type II, use MIGHT in the main clause).
7.- The prison warder was having lunch. The prisoners escaped. (t.III).
8.- I need a typewriter. It costs a lot of money. (t. I)

9.- I don't have enough time. I like reading very much.
(t. II)
10.- I don't like cooking. I always eat in restaurants
(t. II)


3) CONDITIONAL SENTENCES TYPE I: basic formsWrite conditional sentences type I, using the given facts in your conditional clause, and adding a suitable completion.


1.- It looks as if those shoes in the window are my size.

2.- Don't drop that vase.

3.- It looks like being fine tomorrow.

4.- My father has suggested that I change my job.

5.- It seems that we'll be late for the theatre.

6.- Don't lose my library book!

7.- You may meet some friends of mine in London.
8.- He expects to pass his exams.

9.- They're hoping it will be a baby boy.

10.- I anticipate getting a rise in salary next year. constant balance of payments problem.


Complete the following sentences:

1.- You will have to go to the dentist if...

2.- He would have been drowned if...
3.- If I'd had a car...

4.- If Tom rings while I'm out...

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES: inversion Rewrite these sentences as in the examples.
1 If you should need my help again, just give me a
ring. = Should you need my help again, just give me a ring.

2 Were the Government to go back on this election pledge, there would be a revolt among back-benchers. =If the Government were to go back...

3 Had I known you were ill, I would have visited you.= If I had known you were ill,...
1.- If you should need to consult me again, you can contact me at this number.
2.- The hospital can switch to an emergency generator if the need should arise.
3.- If you should be late once again, you'll lose your job.
4.- If it were not for the fact that his father is on the board of directors, he would never have got the job.
5.- If such a merger were ever to be proposed, it would undoubtedly be referred to the Monopolies Commission.
6.- If it were not for the expense involved, I would go there by air.
7.- If it hadn't been for your laziness, you could have finished the work by now.
8.- If he had taken a little more time to think, he might have acted more sensibly.
9.- If the attempted assassination had succeeded, there would almost certainly have been civil and political chaos.
10.- If the driver of the train hadn't reacted so quickly, the accident would have been much worse.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete