Sunday, January 10, 2010

Relatives Clauses (I)


Hi, Guys!,

If you need to practise Defining Relatives Clauses and Non-defining Relative Clauses, here you can find some exercises. I hope you'll take advantage of these. Before doing these exercises, take a look to your notes wirtten down in class, ok?


Defining/ non-defining relative clauses:

Defining: The people who live next door are very kind.
Non-defining: Mr and Mrs Brown, who live next door, are very kind. (Xtra info)

Defining Non-defining

Subject

People: The man WHO/THAT called is my boss.

Things: The house WHICH/THAT is round the corner is expensive.
People: Mr. Brown, WHO called, is my boss.
Things: The large house round the corner, WHICH is on sale,is expensive.

Object
People: The man (WHO(M)/THAT) we met is my boss.

Things: The house (WHICH/THAT) they bought was expensive.
People: Mr Brown, WHO(M) we met, is my boss.
Things: The house round the corner,WHICH they bought, was expensive.

With
Prepositions

People: The man(WHO(M)/THAT) we talked to is my boss.

Things: The house (WHICH/THAT) you looked at is expensive.
People: Mr Brown, to WHOM we talked, is my boss.
Things: The house round the corner, At WHICH you looked, is expensive.


Possession
People: The man WHOSE car is red is my boss.
People: Mr Brown, WHOSE car is red, is my boss.

Place
The house WHERE I lived is round the corner.
The house round the corner, WHERE I lived, was expensive.

Time
The year WHEN we bought the house was a cold one.
1992, WHEN we bought the house, was a cold year.


NOTE:
In non-defining relative clauses:
- The pronoun THAT is not used at all.
- The pronoun can never be omitted.

Combine the sentences. Use WHO, WHICH, THAT, WHOSE or WHERE.
That’s the basketball player. His legs are incredibly long.
1. __________________________________________________
That’s the man. He weighs over 120 kg.
2. _________________________________________________
That’s the university. Professor Rylance works there.
3. _________________________________________________
That’s the club. I first saw Polly there.
4. _________________________________________________
Nail-biting is the habit. I would like to stop it.
5. _________________________________________________
This is the CD. I bought it for Jamie.
6. _________________________________________________
That’s the girl. I told you about her yesterday.
7. _________________________________________________
Those are the students. Their exam results were excellent.
8. _________________________________________________


Combine the sentences WITHOUT using a relative pronoun.
1. I noticed a man in the park. He was very thin.
The man ……………………………………………………………………………………...
2. James told me a story. It wasn’t true.
The story …………………………………………………………………………………….
3. I spoke to a woman. She was a psychologist.
The woman …………………………………………………………………………………..
4. We stayed in a hotel. It was very near the beach.
The hotel ………………………………………………………………………………..……
5. Ella was talking to a boy. He was very good-looking.
The boy ………………………………………………………………………………………
6. I wanted to see the teacher. She had gone home.
The teacher …………………………………………………………………………………..


No comments:

Post a Comment