Friday, January 15, 2010

Reported Speech (post 2)


Hi, Guys!,

More exercises related to Reported Speech. Good luck and have a nice weekend!

Here you have some statements in direct speech. Repeat them using reported or indirect speech.
1. He said: “I am always hungry.”

2. “I have already finished my dinner,” Tom said.

3. “The bus will be here in a minute,” she told me.

4. Mrs. Black exclaimed: “I’m always trying to help you.”

5. They said: “We are going away tomorrow.”

6. “I will lock the door when I leave,” he told me.

7. “It’s colder today than it was yesterday,” Peter remarked.

8. “You will break the lamp If you play football in the sitting-room,” their mother said.

9. He assured me: “I can do it by myself.”

10. Peter looked out of the window and said: “It may rain in a while.”


Here you have some statements in indirect or reported speech. Try to turn them into direct speech. Don’t forget the use of inverted commas and the use of colon or comma if you place the introductory verb before the direct speech statement.
1. They said that they would take the dog for a walk.

2. He said that the students had finished their exams.

3. My friends told me that everybody was waiting for Jim.

4. Mary said that she couldn’t do all the work by herself.

5. The postman said that Mrs. David might receive the letter by the morning post.

6. The old man said that he didn’t like wine.

7. They told us at the station (that) the train had left an hour before.

8. David said (that) he had bought the book the day before.

9. The witness told the judge that he was telling the truth. The whole truth and only the truth.

10. Bob remarked (that) it would be difficult to climb that mountain.



Here you have some direct commands. Turn them into indirect commands. Look at the example:
“Let me down!” said Gulliver to the big man. Gulliver asked the big man to let him down.

1. “Don’t drop me to the ground!” Gulliver begged the farmer.

2. “Speak louder!” the farmer told Gulliver.

3. “Take me to your house,” Gulliver asked the man.

4. “Come and see what I’ve found,” the farmer said to his wife.

5. “Put it away!” cried the farmer’s wife.

6. “Come and have dinner with us!” the farmer told Gulliver.

7. “Lie down and rest for a while.” Mrs. Perkins said to her husband.

8. “Don’t be silly!” said Charlie’s mother to her son.

9. “Don’t forget your glasses!” said Mr. Brown.

10. “Don’t forget congratulate her when she passes it!”, Joseph said.


Here you have some indirect commands. Turn them into direct commands. Look at the example:
Example:
The Happy Prince told the Swallow to fly over the city and watch his people.
The Happy Prince said to the Swallow: “Fly over the city and watch my people.”
1. I told Betty to come near the window.

2. She asked the shop-attendant to show her another dress.

3. The farmer told his dig to lie down.

4. Gulliver begged the farmer not to leave him alone.

5. I invited my friends to come and have lunch with us.

6. The doctor advised me not to smoke so many cigarettes.

7. The doctor advised me to walk for 2 hours every day.

8. Mr. Clarke ordered the waiter to bring him a clean fork.

9. I told the children to get up an hour earlier in the morning.

10. Peter’s father told him to have his hair cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment