Thursday, August 12, 2010

All Tenses, text taken from TWILIGHT by Stephenie Mayer

Hi, there!,

You may have read TWILIGHT or seen the movie. So, I'm going to ask you to read the following text taken from the first novel of the saga, and then, complete with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. At the bottom, you could check your answers. I hope you'll enjoy this experiment!

Complete the following text taken from TWILIGHT with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

“Edward Cullen ___________ (stare) at you again”, Jessica ______ (say), finally breaking through my abstraction in with his name. “I __________ (wonder) why he __________ (sit) alone today”.
My head _______ (snap) up. I __________ (follow) her gaze to see Edward, smiling crookedly, staring at me from an empty table across the cafeteria from where he usually ______ (sit). Once he _________ (catch) my eye, he _________ (raise) one hand and motioned with his index finger for me to join him. As I __________ (stare) in disbelief, he winked.
“_______ he _______ (mean) you?”, Jessica _______ (ask) with insulting astonishment in her voice.
“Maybe he needs help with his Biology homework”, I_________ (mutter) for her benefit. “Um, I’d better go see what he wants”. I could feel her staring after me as I walked away.
When I ________ (reach) his table, I stood behind the chair across from him, unsure.
“Why _______ you_____ (sit) with me today?”, he _________ (ask), smiling.
I _________ (sit) down automatically, watching him with caution. He ______ (be) still smiling. It _____ (be) hard to believe that someone so beautiful could be real. I _____ (be) afraid that he might disappear in a sudden puff of smoke, and I would wake up.
He _______ (seem) to be waiting for me to say something.
“This _____ (be) different!, I finally _______ (manage).
“Well…” He _______ (pause), and then the rest of the words ______ (follow) in a rush. “I ________ (decide) as long as I _________ (go) to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly”.”You know I ________ (not have) any idea what you mean”, I eventually _________ (point) out.



TEXT TAKEN FROM TWILIGHT by STEPHENIE MEYER

“Edward Cullen is staring at you again”, Jessica said, finally breaking through my abstraction in with his name. “I wonder why he’s sitting alone today”.
My head snapped up. I followed her gaze to see Edward, smiling crookedly, staring at me from an empty table across the cafeteria from where he usually sat. Once he’d caught my eye, he raised one hand and motioned with his index finger for me to join him. As I stared in disbelief, he winked.
“Does he mean you?”, Jessica asked with insulting astonishment in her voice.
“Maybe he needs help with his Biology homework”, I muttered for her benefit. “Um, I’d better go see what he wants”.I could feel her staring after me as I walked away.
When I reached his table, I stood behind the chair acroos from him, unsure.
“Why don’t you sit with me today?”, he asked, smiling.
I sat down automatically, watching him with caution. He was still smiling. It was hard to believe that someone so beautiful could be real. I was afraid that he might disappear in a sudden puff of smoke, and I would wake up.
He seemed to be waiting for me to say something.
“This is different!, I finally managed.
“Well…” He paused, and then the rest of the words followed in a rush. “I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly”.”You know I don’t have any idea what you mean”, I eventually pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment