Monday, October 19, 2009

All Perfect Tenses (2)


Hi, Guys!,

If you need to practise the following tenses, here you are more exercises. Good luck!

PRESENT PERFECT, PAST PERFECT AND FUTURE PERFECT

A.

A. Use for or since in these sentences. Then translate them into your language.

1. Tom has had same computer ………over five years. He ought to get it up-graded.

-___________________________________________________

2. Come on, you’ve been on the Internet ……….. nearly there hours! I’m dreading getting the telephone bill!

-___________________________________________________

3. Our computer’s been at the repair shop ……….last week and they still haven’t fixed it.

-___________________________________________________

4. “Windows” operating systems have been popular ………..a long time.

-___________________________________________________

5. I’ve been trying to fix my computer ………….nine o’clock this morning.

-___________________________________________________

6. I’ve had nothing but problems with it ………….the day I installed a CD drive.

-___________________________________________________


B. Complete these sentences with ever, just, already or yet.

1. My grandmother only got a computer a month ago, but she’s ……….taught herself how to use Word and e-mail.

2. Have you …………tried to repair a damaged disk-drive? It’s not very easy.

3. Dad’s ………..bought a new computer and it’s broken down ………….He’s furious.

4. you finished writing that letter ………….?

5. Why don’t you get a new computer? – A new one? I haven’t finished paying for this one………..!

6. Have you …..…seen a Macintosh computer? – Seen one? I’ve ……..bought one. They’re the best.


C. Match these tenses with the examples given below.

Present perfect: _______________ Future perfect: __________ Past perfect: ____________

a) I had never used a laser mouse before.

b) We have installed a new cable.

c) They’ll have delivered it before 9 o’clock tomorrow morning.


D. Complete the sentences with the right tense: past simple or present perfect. Use the verbs in brackets.

1. Apple _______________________their Macintosh computers in 1984. (introduce)

2. We’re got two computers in our school library but I _____________them only two or there times. (use)

3. Dad _______________________ a 14,400 modem in 1996. He ________________ a new one since then. (buy / not buy)

4. I don’t understand this game very well. You see, I _______________it before. (never play)

5. ______________________ with the computer, Tom? Then switch it off, please. (you finish)

6. Oh, look! Sorry! I ____________________________all your files! (delete)

7. I _______________________ an e-mail from China last night! It ________________from a student at Beijing University. (get / be)

8. Where’s the other joystick? _______________ it? It ________________ here yesterday. (you see / be)

9. Blaise Pascal ____________________in 1662. He _______________a French mathematician who ______________________ the calculating machine. (die / be / invent)

10. You ________________________a very nice picture on the screen, Pepe. But, what is it? (draw)


E. Complete these sentences with for or since.

1. My father has had Windows 95 ________________ it came out, and it still works well enough for him.

2. Apple have been making computers ______________ 1975, but Apple Macintosh computers have only existed _________________ about 15 or 16 years.

3. Laser printers have been on the market __________________ a long time now.

4. I first learnt how to use a computer at school, but I’ve learnt a lot more ____________ then.

5. Come on, James! You’re been on the Internet ________________ nearly two hours. I need to make a phone call.

6. I haven’t been on it _______________ so long! Only ________________ about 9 o’clock.


F. Put for or since with these words and phrases. ­­­­­­­­

1. ________ many years 4. ______ 1998

2. ________ Christmas 5. ______ I left school

3. ________ five minutes 6. _____ a very long time


G. Put the verbs in the future perfect or the past perfect.

1. When I printed the document I found that I (make) ___________________ a lot of mistakes.

2. Before the end of next century, today’s computers (become) _________________ museum pieces.

3. The first time I opened a ZIP program I had a terrible time, You see, I (not use) _______________ a compressor program before.

4. When Charles Babbage presented his “computer”, no one (see) _______________ anything like it before.

5. Next Christmas my sister (have) _____________________ her computer for exactly live years.

6. I’m still paying for my computer: I (not finish) ____________________ paying for it before it becomes obsolete.

7. Tom switched on his scanner but it didn’t work. Then he saw what was wrong, he (forget) ________________________ to plug it in.

8. If you don’t hurry, you (not finish) __________________ your homework before midnight.


P E R F E C T T E N S E S

H. Put the verbs in the correct tense: present perfect, future perfect, or past perfect.

Two friends of mine (1. arrive) ________________________ from the USA this afternoon, and now they (2. go) _____________________ to the hotel to rest. They were tired because the flight (3. be) _____________________ rough and they (4. not sleep) ______________________ at all. They told me that they (5. have) _________________a very difficult journey. Firstly, when they got to Miami Airport, they discovered that they both (6. forget) ____________________ their passports! Can you imagine? They took a taxi home and when they arrived back at the airport an airline employee told them that the plane (7. leave) ___________________ without them! Fortunately, he (8. make) _______________________ a mistake , and the plane was still there.

They (9. Not visit) _________________________ Britain before, in fact, they (10. never be) ______________________ out of the USA before, but by the time they go back next week they (11. see) ______________________ all the most famous parts of London, and, hopefully, they (12. visit) _______________________________ Stratford and Scotland.


H. Complete this dialogue with ever, yet, already, or just.

- Have you ________________ opened a computer case and looked inside?

- Yes, O bought my computer only six months ago, and I’ve _______________ opened the case twice to put in more RAM.

- Well, I’ve _______________ bought a new CD unit, but I haven’t installed it ___________

Can you give me a hand?

- OK. But haven’t you taken the screws out _______________ ?

- No, I haven’t even found the screwdriver ________________

- I’ve ________________ had an idea! Why don’t you ask Tom? He’s good with computer.

- Yes, but has he ______________ installed a CDROM?

- I don’t know. Let’s ask him.


No comments:

Post a Comment