Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Future Will vs. Future Be Going to


HI, Guys!,

What about these two verbal forms? Do you notice the differences between them?

A. Choose the correct alternatives:
1.Your bag looks heavy. I´ll carry / I’m going to carry for you.
2. I’ve decided that I’ll study / I’m going to study Botany at university.
3. Get in the car and I’ll take / I’m going to take you to the train station.
4. We know that the conversation project will cost / is going to cost $ 100 million.
5. I can’t come to school tomorrow because I’ll go / I’m going to go to the dentist.
6. I think that pandas will disappear / are going to disappear before 2100.

B. Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of WILL or GOING TO:
1. The temperature is falling fast and there are a lot of clouds. It _____________ (snow).
2. Don’t say anything about the surprise party to Nicky. She __________ (tell) everyone.
3. I ____________ (visit) my friend in Portugal. I’ve bought my plane ticket.
4. Oh, no! It’s raining. I ____________ (wear) my coat.
5. I think cities _____________ (become) more polluted in the future.
6. James ___________ (go) to the cinema with Louise on Saturday.
7. “Sarah phoned while you were out”. “I ___________ (call) her back now”.
8. I can’t go out tonight because I _____________ (do) my homework.

C. Complete the sentences. Use the correct form of WILL or the Present Continuous.
1. I _____________ (open) the door for you.
2. This summer I ______________ (spend) a month in an African nature reserve.
3. The leader of the Green Party ______________ (see) the Prime Minister at 9.30.
4. It’s possible that in the future Britain _____________ (become) a hot country.
5. ______________ (you / stay) until the meeting finishes or do you have to go now?
6. Give me your telephone number and I’ll ___________ (phone) you later.


D. Say why we use WILL in the following sentences.
1. Will you bring me a coffee?
2. The government says the numbers of unemployed will go down next year.
3. I’m hungry, I think I will have lunch.
4. Will you give me a hand with these letters I have to write?
5. Yes, of course, you can dictate them and I’ll type them.

E. Say why we use BE GOING TO in the following sentences.
1. I am going to spend the summer with my Aunt Lucy.
2. Look at the time. We’re going to be late!
3. I’m going to find myself a summer job for the holidays.
4. Be careful! You are going to do with all that money you won?

F. Decide which tenses are best in these sentences: WILL; BE GOING TO or PRESENT CONTINUOUS.
.- Dad can’t drive us to the disco tomorrow night, Mum. He’s working / He‘ll work.
- Oh, I didn’t know that. Well, I’ll take / I’m going to take you then.

- In the future more and more people will work / are working from computers at home.

- Are you going to lend / will you lend me twenty pounds, please?
- I can’t at the moment, I’m afraid, but I’m going to lend / I’ll lend you ten when I get paid.

- I’ll have / I’m having to work overtime tonight, I think, so don’t make dinner for me.
- Oh, no don’t you remember? We’ll have / ‘re having dinner with Tom and Sue tonight.

- The phone is ringing. I’ll / I’m going to answer it.



G. Make up endings for these sentences using the future tense WILL.

1. It’s getting late, so I think ______________________________________________________

2. When Pete has saved enough money he ___________________________________________

3. If you need any help __________________________________________________________

4. John’s studied a lot for this exam, so he’s sure that ___________________________________

5. As soon as I get the chance to write ______________________________________________

6. The weatherman says that this weekend ___________________________________________



H. Make requests for these situations. Use WILL and verbs from the box.

TURN UP

CLOSE

SWITCH OFF

LEND

HELP

1. I’ve come out without any money. _______________________________________________

2. I’ve got to clean up my room before Mum gets back. _________________________________

3. I’m trying to listen to the news. _________________________________________________

4. It’s a bit cold in here. _________________________________________________________

5. Someone’s left the light on. ____________________________________________________



I. Choose between WILL and GOING TO in these sentences. Circle the right tense.

1. Take an aspirin for your headache. You are going to feel / you will feel better.

2. Don’t worry! I’ll clean / I am going to clean the car for you.

3. Cheerio! I’ll phone / I’m going to phone you on Saturday.

4. Can you pass me the shampoo, please? I will wash / I’m going to wash my hair.

5. Oh, look! Those two cars will / are going to crash.

6. What are you going to do / will you do with this old chair?


No comments:

Post a Comment