Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Past Simple vs. Past Continuous exercises

Hi, guys!,

Did you understand the differences between the
Past Simple and Past Continuous?

ok!, let's see....



A. Complete these sentences with the Past Simple and Past Continuous:

I had a bad dream last night. In my dream it _____________ (be) Sunday morning. It ______________ (be) 10 o’clock and I ___________________ (read) a book in the garden at the back of the house. Suddenly the sky ___________________ (become) dark. It _________________ (start) to rain so I _____________________ (go) inside the house. I ______________________ (close) the windows and ______________________ (turn) on the TV to listen to the news and the weather. I __________________________ (watch) the news when the storm _______________________ (begin). I remember that the wind _____________________ (blow) and the windows ____________________ (shake) when I _____________________ (hear) a terrible noise like a big bang. Then I _____________________ (wake up) on the floor. I can’t remember anything else.

B. Complete these sentences with the Past Simple and Past Continuous:

1. When the phone ___________ (ring), Julia and I _____________ (watch) TV.

2. Yesterday, they __________ (meet) Jack and Tina. They ____________ (be) really kind.

3. Most of my friends ___________ (work) last summer, so I ___________ (decide) to get a job too.

4. While you ________________ (dance) at the party, I ______________ (see) Peter.

5. We _________________ (talk) for a while.

C. Fill in the blanks with the Past Simple or Past Continuous form of the verb in brackets:

1. He ___________ (go) off the road while he ___________ (drive) home late at night.

2. While she ___________ (sit) in the pub, she _____________ (meet) an old friend.

3. We _____________ (work) on a new advertising campaign when the boss ____________ (call) us into his office.

4. Why ______________ (not/ you/ listen) while he ___________ (explain) the effects of alcohol on the body?

5. I ____________ (not/drive) very fast when the accident ___________ (happen)

D. Fill in the blanks with the Past Simple or Past Continuous form of the verb in brackets:

1. We _____________________ (sit) in the park when Beth suddenly _______________ (kiss) Mike.

2. We _____________________ (laugh) so we _______________________ (not look) at the camera.

3. This is Brad. He _____________________ (phone) us while we ______________________ (study) Maths at home.

4. She ____________________ (make) a face because the baby _______________________ (cry).

5. My friends and I _________________ (meet) outside the cinema and then, we _________________________ (decide) the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment