Monday, April 26, 2010

E N G L I S H P L A Y S


Hi, there!,

Our dearest playwright SHAKESPEARE wrote in his play As You Like It, this:

"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages".


Maybe due to his quote, maybe because I love theatre and performing plays, ... I don't know why, but I believe that if you are a teacher, you are a good actor / actress, don't you think so?

Anyway, are you going to start rehearsing a PLAY or a kind of MUSICAL to the end of this academic year? Well, I'm going to challenge you ... why don't you (teachers and pupils) prepare an ENGLISH PLAY this year? My pupils and I love performing plays, it's a great experience!!!

I strongly believe it's one of the best way to encourage students to speak English, to memorise, to motivate them, to improve their pronunciation, to make them feel better speaking up, ... and so on.

We had already performed wellknown plays such as ROMEO and JULIET, MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, childish ones such as THE LITTLE DOLLAR, ALADDI
N and THE LAMP, ... when we were asked to perform the famous DON QUIXOTE in English. Well, it was a great challenge and a very hard task because I had to translate some passages taken from the novel. Once again, that experience WAS UNFORGETTABLE, AMAZING!!!

Come on, why don't you look for a short English play? or you can take some significant fragments of a play, ... even more, you can ask the students to write a short play which they have to perform in class later? You'll never forget this experience!

In these days, my pupils and I have to perform a short play based on the Scottish tale, related to the Comenius project; as well as the most important songs of the film GREASE. What about you? Do you dare to do so? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment