Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Verbs followed by Gerunds or Infinitives (Part1)

Hi, Guys!,

Are you ready for another English lesson? Well, today we're going to deal with Verbs which are followed by GERUNDS or/and INFINITIVES. Pay attention to the pictures! Can you see the charts? They are really useful. Then, you can practise doing the following exercises, OK?


A. Complete the sentences with the gerund or infinitive form of the verbs in brackets.
1. When will you finish ________________ (do) the experiment?
2. She refuses __________________ (retire) from her job.
3. I dislike __________________ (study) at the weekend.
4. I plan ______________ (work) during the summer holiday.
5. Are you prepared ________________ (help) an elderly person?
6. I hope scientists will manage __________________ (eliminate) deadly diseases.
7. My grandfather loves __________________ (have) a lot of leisure time.
8. If the sceptics are wrong, people will start ________________ (live) longer.

B. Match each sentence in I with a suitable sentence in II.
1. I stopped smoking. a. I needed a break.
2. I stopped to smoke. b. It is bad for my health.

3. I remember telling you the news. c. I’m so glad I didn’t forget.
4. I remembered to tell you the news. d. Why did you say I didn’t tell you?

5. I’ll never forget meeting her. e. She’s very angry with me.
6. I forgot to meet her. f. She was so beautiful.

7. I regret telling you the news. g. I’m sorry I’m going to upset you.
8. I regret to tell you the news. h. I’m sorry I upset you.

C. Complete the second sentence so that it has similar meaning to the first sentence. Use the word in brackets and other words to complete each sentence.
1. “I won’t tell anyone about it”, said Suize. (promised)
Laura’s friend Suize ________________________________anyone abut it.
2. “Laura, you should try being honest with your parents”, said the doctor. (advised)
The doctor ________________________________________ honest with her parents.
3. “Don’t go out with that boy again!”, said Laura’s father. (warned)
Laura’s father _________________________________________ go out with Steve again.
4. “I haven’t seen Steve since Saturday night”, said Laura. (denied)
Laura __________________________________________________Steve since Saturday night.
5. “I try to phone him”, said Laura. (admitted)
Laura ____________________________________him.
6. “Perhaps I could meet your parents”, said Steve. (suggested)
Steve ______________________________________ Laura’s parents.
7. “No, I will not speak to him”, said Laura’s mother. (refused)
Laura’s mother _______________________________ to Steve.
8. “I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to ask Steve to lunch on Sunday”, said Laura’s mother. (decided)
Laura’s mother __________________________________________ Steve to lunch on Sunday.
9. “Would you like to have lunch with us on Sunday, Steve?” said Laura’s mother. (invited)
Laura’s mother ________________________________ lunch with them on Sunday.
10. “I think you’re right. Laura is too young to stay out so late” said Steve. (agreed)
Steve agreed __________________________________ that Laura too young to stay out so late.

No comments:

Post a Comment