Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MODALS EXERCISES (part 3)


Hi, Guys!,

Are you ready? Here you are some exercises to review Modal Verbs. You can find the key answers below, ok?

A. Certainty, impossibility and possibility
Re-phrase these sentences using must, can’t or may / might / could.


Example: It’s impossible that he’s English. He can’t be English.
I’m certain that she is a doctor. She must be a doctor.


1. Perhaps she’s tired. _ She may/ could be tired.
2. It’s impossible that you’re right. _ You can't be right.
3. I’m certain that he knows the answer. _ He must know the answer.
4. Perhaps they are at home now _ They may / could be at home.
5. I’m certain that she lives there. _ She must live there.
6. It’s impossible that it’s a real diamond ring. _ This can't be a real diamond.
7. Perhaps I’ve got influenza. _ She may have influenza.


B. Certainly impossibility and possibility. (MODALS PAST FORMS)
Rephrase these sentences using must, can’, couldn’t or may / might / could.

Examples: Perhaps they went home early. They might have gone home early.
It’s impossible that you were at the cinema .You can’t have been at the cinema.

1. I’m certain that she forgot about the meeting.
She must have forgotten about the meeeting.
2. It’s impossible that he knew my phone number.
He can't have known my phone number.
3. Perhaps they have received your letter by now.
They may have received your letter by now.
4. I’m certain that he took a later bus.
He must have taken a later bus.
5. Perhaps she was tired.
She may be tired.
6. It’s impossible that the money was stolen this morning.
The money can't be stolen this morning.
7. I’m certain that Sue was invited to the party.
Sue must have been invited to the party.

C. Choose the correct alternatives.
1. People can / have to be fit if they want to climb high mountains. (HAVE TO)
2. In my opinion, you have to / should do a less violent sport, like table tennis.(SHOULD)
3. We needn’t / mustn’t take any food with us because we’ll be back by lunchtime.(NEEDN'T)
4. I can / ought to train more often, but I don’t have time.(OUGHT TO)
5. The club rules say that you ought to / have to be 18 to join.(HAVE TO)
6. You needn’t / mustn’t close your eyes when you dive into the swimming pool because you might hit somebody.(MUSTN'T)
7. My grandmother can / ought to still swim 1000 metres. She’s amazing! (CAN)

D. Complete the sentences with the modal verbs. Use CAN, HAVE TO, MUSTN’T, NEEDN’T, SHOULD OR SHOULDN’T.
1. The views from the mountain top will be wonderful, so I think you _______________ take your camera. (SHOULD)
2. You ______________ go into the water because the current is too strong. It’s very dangerous.(MUSTN'T)
3. You _________________ obtain a special permit to climb in China or you won’t be allowed to climb. (HAVE TO)
4. In my opinion, you ____________________ swim so soon after eating your lunch. (SHOULDN'T)
5. I ___________________ fly planes now because I’ve finished my flying lessons.(CAN)
6. You ___________________ take a coat with you because it will be hot today.(NEEDN'T)

No comments:

Post a Comment