Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MODALS PERFECT (part 2)




Hi, Guys!,

Please, don't forget to study this before doing your homework. Remember: when you express
1.Obligation in the past, you use HAD TO.
2.Necessity or lack of Necessity in the past: You needed, you didn't need to, you didn't have to.
3. Ability in the past: COULD or WERE/WAS ABLE TO.


MODAL PERFECTS
(Modal verb + have* + past participle)
*Have does not change


POSSIBILITY
We use may have / might have / could have + past participle to talk about possibility in the past.
1. “Where was Sally last night?”
2. “I think she may have been at the cinema.” (= I think perhaps she was at the cinema)
3. “Peter is late.” “He might have missed the train.” (= Perhaps he missed/has missed the train)
4. “I can’t find my wallet anywhere.” “You could have left it at home.”
(= Perhaps you left/have left it at home)
5. “She walked straight past me without saying hello.”
6. “She might not have seen you.” (= Perhaps she didn’t see you)

ADVICE
We use should have / ought to have + past participle to say someone did the wrong thing in the past.
1. I should have done my homework at the weekend.
2. I’m really tired this morning. I shouldn’t have stayed up so late last night.
3. We had a really good time in London yesterday.
4. You ought to have come with us.

DEDUCTION
We use must have/ can’t have + past participle for deductions about the past.
Those shoes you bought are very nice. They must have been expensive. (= I’m sure that they were expensive).

1. You can’t have been at the swimming pool yesterday! It was closed all day!
(= It was impossible that you were at the swimming pool yesterday!

We can use couldn’t have …instead of can’t have ….here.
2. You couldn’t have been at the swimming pool yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment