Friday, February 5, 2010

I'd rather, I'd prefer, I feel like, I fancy...

Hi, Guys!,


Last Tuesday, a friend of mine who is learning English (like all of us) asked me about the differences between these constructions: I'd rather, I'd prefer, I feel like,
I fancy..
. Because of that, I've just decided to explain them to YOU!
Let's have a look at! or FANCY THAT!

1. I'd rather is followed by Past tenses in the same way as WISH. It is used to express a personal preference about actions.

Ex: I'd rather you didn't get back so late. (Pres.)

Ex: I'd rather drink coke than coffee. (Pres.)

Ex: I'd rather not go by bus, if possible.

Ex: I'd rather have lived in Ancient Greece than Ancient Rome. (past)

2. I'd prefer ...

I'd prefer + it+ 2nd Cond. = I'd prefer it if you didn't go

I'd prefer + Noun + TO + Noun = I'd prefer coke to coffee

I'd prefer + Obj. + (NOT) + TO infinitive = I'd prefer you not to get back so late.

3. I feel + AS IF (conditionals)

Ex. I feel as if I were flying!, I feel as if a fast car had hit me

4. I feel like + gerund = He doesn't feel like working today, he's so tired.

5. I fancy ...

I fancy + Noun = I really fancy an ice-cream!

I fancy + gerund = Do you fancy watching a film?

I fancy + Obj. (be physically attracted to)= She fancies him!

I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING!
what do you fancy now? If you need some exercises to practise, click on "I'd rather, I'd prefer" (LABELS - ON THE RIGHT).

2 comments: